Rava upma is an easy and simple breakfast dish.
- Rava/Semolina : 1 cup
- Carrot : 1 no , chopped to very small pieces
- green peas : 1/2 cup(optional)
- onion : 1 no, chopped
- ginger : 1 tsp , chopped
- green chillies : 3 nos , chopped
- curry leaves : 1 spring
- mustard seeds : 1tsp
- urad dal (uzhunnu): 1 tsp
- Dried red chilly : 2 nos, broken to two.
- water : 2 cups
- ghee/oil (i prefer ghee)
- cashews and raisins for garnishing
- Dry roast the rava in a pan and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a pan and roast the cashews and raisins. Keep it aside.
- Add 1 more tbsp ghee in the same pan and splutter the mustard seeds.
- Add the urad dal, dry red chillies and curry leaves.
- Add the onion, ginger and green chillies and saute 2-3 mins.
- Add the carrot and green peas and saute for 5 mins.
- Add 2 cups water and salt.
- Cover the lid and allow the water to boil and vegetables to tender.
- Open the lid and reduce the flame.
- Add roasted rava and stir continuously to avoid forming lumps. When all the water is absorbed and upma is dry, switch off the stove.
- Add 1 tbsp ghee.
- Garnish with roasted cashews and raisins.
- Serve hot and enjoy.