- IDLI RECIPE
- Idli rice : 2 cups
- Urad dal(uzhunnu parippu) : 3/4 cup
- Cooked rice : 1/2 cup
- Fenugreek seeds(uluva) : 1 tsp
- Wash and soak the rice for 4 – 6 hours.
- Wash and soak urad dal with fenugreek seeds for 4 – 6 hours.
- Drain the water and grind the rice with cooked rice by adding enough water. Keep it aside in a large bowl.
- Drain the water and grind urad dal with fenugreek seeds by adding enough water.
- When the batter is smooth add it to the rice batter in the bowl and mix well.
- Cover the bowl with a lid and keep it in a warm place overnight or 8-10 hour for fermenting.
- Once the bateer has fermented, stir the batter well. Add salt and mix well.
- Take your idli steamer and add some water. Grease tha idli mould and pour the batter in each mold. close the lid and steam for 20 mins.
- Switch of the stove and allow it to cool. Then remove the idlis.
- Don’t use air tight lid to cover the batter for fermenting.
- Don’t try to remove the idlis, while the idli mould is hot. Idli won’t come easily and will stick to the mould. After cooling Idli will come so easily.
COCONUT CHUTNEY RECIPE
- Coconut grated : 1 cup
- green chilly : 2 or 3 nos
- Ginger : 1 small piece
- yogurt : 1/2 cup
- lime juice : 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Mustard seeds : 1/2 tsp
- dried red chilly : 2 nos (split into 2)
- curry leaves
- Grind coconut, green chilly, ginger and yogurt together in a blender. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter the mustard seeds.
- Add dried red chilly and saute for few seconds.
- Add curry leaves and saute for few seconds.
- Add the blended coconut mixture to this and stir well, in low flame.
- If your yogurt is not sour you can add 1/2 tsp lime juice. it gives a nice taste to the chutney. You can avoid this if your yogurt is sour or if you don’t like sourness in chutney.
- Add enough water and salt and stir well for 1-2 mins in low flame.
- Switch off the stove.