Puliyinji is a traditional kerala recipe. It is one of the main dishes in Sadhya.
- Tamarind : Lemon size ball
- Ginger : 1/4 cup, finely chopped
- Jaggery : 1/4 cup, grated
- Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
- Chilly powder : 1 tsp
- Green chilly : 6 nos, chopped
- mustard seeds : 1 tsp
- dry red chilly : 2 , broken
- curry leaves : 2 springs
- coconut oil
- Soak tamarind in 3/4 cup warm water for 10 mins and extract the juice.
- Add turmeric powder, chilly powder and salt to the tamarind juice and boil it.
- When the juice thickens add grated jaggery and continue boiling for few mins.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and splutter the mustard seeds.
- Add dry red chilly and saute.
- Add curry leaves and chopped green chilly and saute.
- Add finely chopped ginger and saute.
- Add this to the boiled tamarind-jaggery mix.
- Puliyinji is ready to serve.
- You can keep it in refrigerator for 1 or 2 weeks.
- Make it day before the sadhya to settle the flavors well and taste better.