PUTTU/STEAM CAKE(Rice,Wheat,Rava & Oats)
Puttu(steam cake) is a very popular breakfast dish in Kerala. It consists of firm cylinders of steamed ground rice with layers of coconut. There are many combinations of puttu-puttu & kadala(chickpea) curry, puttu & stew, puttu & chicken curry, puttu, ripe banana& pappadam, puttu,ghee & sugar etc.. Actually these are my favorite combinations. There are many other combinations with puttu.
We can make puttu with rice, wheat, rava, oats, ragi etc. Puttu is usually cooked in puttu maker(in kerala it is called puttu kutti).
- Raw rice : 2 cup
- Grated coconut : 1 cup
- Soak the rice for 5 hours and drain the water. Grind the rice to a fine powder in a mixer. In a pan, add the rice powder and roast, stir it continuously until a nice aroma of rice comes. Take care not to burn the powder. Cool the powder. (Nowadays ready made puttu powder is available. In that case we can avoid this step. )
- Mix salt in water and sprinkle the water on the rice flour, little at a time and mix it with your hands. Repeat sprinkling water till the rice flour is wet enough.
- Add 1 ½ cup of water in the puttu pot and bring it to boil. Now take the cylindrical vessel and add one handful coconut. There is a round steel with holes placed in the bottom of the cylindrical vessel. This will help the contents put in the shell, not to fall out through the holes in the vessel. Then add 3 handful rice flour. Repeat this until the vessel is filled.
- Place the vessel on top of the pot tightly. Cover the vessel with lid. Steam for 5 minutes.Once the puttu is cooked steam will come out from the top of the vessel.
- Remove the cylinder, use a spatula to push out the puttu to a plate. Serve hot and enjoy with your favorite combination curry.
Use 2cup wheat flour instead of rice flour and follow the same method.
Use 2 cup of roasted rava instead of rice flour and follow the same method.
Use 2 cup Oats instead of rice flour and coconut water instead of water and follow the same method.