Varutharacha chicken curry is one of my amma’s specials. I love her varutharacha chicken curry and varutharacha sambar with rice most(more than her thalassery chicken biriyani !!!!). She learned this recipe also from my ammamma. Ammamma don’t eat chicken. But she makes yummy chicken biriyani and chicken curry. It Is really Yummy. Try it.
- Chicken : 1 kg
- Onion : 3 big sliced
- Ginger : 2″ piece chopped
- Garlic : 1 whole garlic chopped
- Green chilly : 2 nos
- turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
- coriander powder : 1 1/2 tbsp
- garam masala/ chicken masala : 1 1/2 tbsp
- chilly powder : 1 tsp
- pepper powder : 1 tsp
- curd : 2tbsp
- tomato : 1 big sliced
- coconut grated : 1 1/2cup
- coconut oil
- shallots : 5 nos sliced
- curry leaves
- Dried red chilly : 2 nos (split into 2)
- coriander leaves
- Marinate the chicken with ingredients 2 to 12 and keep it in a refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Heat coconut oil in a nonstick pan and dry roast the grated coconut with 1 spring curry leaves until it becomes golden brown color. Let it cool and grind it to a smooth paste. Keep it aside.
- After 1 hour cover cook the marinated chicken by adding enough water. (You can pressure cook it also).
- Add the sliced tomato to this and cook until the tomato is well cooked.
- Add the grounded coconut with 1/4 cup water and mix well. Adjust the salt and cook for few mins until the gravy thickens.
- Heat 1 tbsp coconut oil in another pan and fry shallots ,red chilies and 1 spring curry leaves until shallots become golden brown color. Add this to cooked chicken and mix well.
- Switch of the stove.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves.
- This yummy curry goes well with rice, puttu , pathiri, kerala porotta and chappathi.
Note : Fry the grated coconut carefully in medium heat . continuously stir it. If it is over fried or burnt(black color), then the curry will have a bitter taste.