Pariipu pradhaman is my ammamma’s and amma’s special . It is really very yummy. It is one of my favorite payasams. On every onam and vishu my ammamma come to my home with cherupayarparippu prepared by her using ural and ulakka. (cherupayar uralil ittu kuthi parippu edukkum.) . Amma make parippu pradhaman with that parippu in every onam and wishu. It is really yummy. I can’t explain it in words. It is heaven.
In my place Vatakara on 2 days before every marriage, women from neighborhood makes the parippu on the same way, using ural and ulakka. After that they fry the parippu. That time a nice aroma came from the marriage house.
Now i am in qatar i can’t make pradhaman with ammamma’s parippu. I used cherupayar parippu bought from supermarket and made this pradhaman. Every one try this, I can assure you it is really yummy.
- cherupayar parippu / moong dal : 2 cups
- sharkara / Jaggery : 800 gm
- grated coconut from two 2 coconuts
- ghee : 3 tbsps
- cardamom powder : a pinch
- cashew nuts, raisins and coconut pieces
- Roast the parippu in a pan until it turns golden brown and crisp. Keep it aside for cooling.
- Make 3 coconut milks from the 2 grated coconuts(thick, medium and thin coconut milks). Keep it aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp ghee in a pan and roast cashews, raisins and coconut pieces. Keep it aside.
- Wash the parippu well.
- Pressure cook the parippu with third(thin) coconut milk for 2 whistles in low flame.
- Melt the jaggery in another pan with some water.
- Transfer the pressure cooked parippu to big kadai and add melted jaggery to it. Mix well and cook for 2 mins.
- Add the second(medium) coconut milk and boil well for 5 mins. when it becomes thick (not too thick) add the first (thick) coconut milk.
- When it boils well switch off the stove.
- Add the cardamom powder.
- Then add the roasted cashews, raisins and coconut pieces with remaining ghee.
- Add one more tbsp ghee on the top.
- Parippu Pradhaman is ready to serve.
- Pressure cook the parippu only in low flame. Otherwise the thin coconut milk added will boil out.
- You can keep the pradhaman in refrigerator. Cooled Pradhaman is also really yummy.
- You can serve the hot pradhaman with pappadam and banana that’s the best combination and it tastes really yummy when mixed together.