TIPS FOR CUTTING ,PEELING & CLEANING VEGETABLES:
- Soak potatoes an eggplant, to avoid discoloration.
- After peeling onions cut it to half and soak in water for about 10 minutes ,then cut to avoid crying.
- Soak almonds in a cup of boiling water for 10 minutes .The skin will peel off easily.
- Always soak cauliflower in warm salted water for some time to get rid of the tiny insects sometimes present deep inside the florets.
- Add some salt or vinegar drops while washing vegetables and greens to make them clean and gem free.
TIPS FOR STORING VEGETABLES:
- Wrap the fruits and vegetables in newspaper before refrigerating to keep them fresh for long.
- Remove the stems of the green chillies while storing them. They will remain fresh for a longer time.
TIPS FOR COOKING :
- Place tomatoes in hot water for 10 minutes for easier peeling an better taste in any recipe where tomatoes are required to be cooked.
- Add a few drops of lemon to rice before cooking to avoid sticking of grain.
- After cooking noodles wash hem in col water to avoid sticking.
- If you forget to soak chana overnight. Just soak the chana in the boiling water for an hour before cooking.
TIPS FOR STORING AND COOKING FISH :
- If you want to store fish for more than a day, first clean it, rub it with salt, turmeric and maybe, a dash of vinegar, and then freeze. It will stay fresh.
- To get rid of the smell of any fish, apply salt and lemon juice to the fish before cooking. Leave for 20 minutes, then wash off and proceed with the recipe. This is usually done with fish and all kinds of seafood.
TIPS FOR COOKING MEAT:
- Meat partially frozen is much easier to cut.
- Allow meat to stand at room temperature for 1 hour before cooking: It will help to cook more quickly, brown more evenly, and stick less when pan-fried.
- If the mutton is pink color and looks firm then it is soft mutton. If mutton is red and looks wrinkle, then it is tough.
SANJEEV KAPOOR’S TIPS :
To prevent the growth of fungus in pickles, burn a small grain of asafoetida over a burning coal and invert the empty pickle jar on it for some time before putting pickles in the jar.
- To make softer chapatis, take flour in a bowl, add salt and little oil. Then add water and mix slowly until soft dough is formed. Knead for atleast 15 minutes. Rest the doung for another 15 minutes. A well kneaded dough will give soft chapatis