Thalassery dum biriyani is very famous for its taste and aroma. I love thalassery biriyani. It is favorite of many food lovers.
This is Thalassery mutton dum diriyani recipe.
- Mutton : 1 kg
- Kayama Ari /jeerakasala rice : 4 cup
- Green chilly : 12 nos(crushed)
- ginger : 2 tbsp(crushed)
- garlic : 2 tbsp(crushed)
- onion : 10 nos(sliced)
- curd : 2 tbsp
- coriander leaves : 1/2 cup(chopped)
- mint leaves : 1/2 cup(chopped)
- tomato : 3 nos(sliced in round)
- lemon juice : from 2 lemon
- Turmeric powder : 1 tbsp
- Chilly powder : 1 tbsp
- Biriyani Masala : 2 tsbp (preparation of biriyani masala powder is given down)
- cloves(6nos), cardamom(4nos), cinnamon sticks(2nos)
- cashews, raisins, coriander leaves and mint leaves for garnishing.
Preparation of BIRIYANI MASALA POWDER:
You can get garam masala packet from market. Garam masala contains bay leaf, fennel seeds, star anise, cardamom, pepper corn, cinnamon sticks, cloves, coriander seeds, jeera, mace flower, nutmeg etc. Heat a pan and dry roast the ingredients excluding fennel seeds and jeera. if you add jeera and fennel seeds along with other spices it may get burned. When it is well roasted add jeera and fennel seeds and roast for few seconds. Let it cool. Powder them in a blender. Store it in an airtight container.
- Marinate the mutton with turmeric powder, chilly powder , salt and lemon juice(from 1/2 lemon).
- Pressure cook the marinated mutton and keep it aside.
- Soak the rice for 20 mins and wash and drain it.
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a kadai and roast the cashews and raisins. Kepp it aside.
- Add 1 more tbsp ghee and add 1/2 of sliced onions and roast them till dark brown in color.
- Add more ghee and roast the cloves, cardamom and cinnamon sticks and then roast the rice in it.
- Add 8 cup boiled water and to the rice and cook in low flame.
- When it is half cooked add salt and lemon juice (from half lemon)
- When it is cooked allow it to cool.
- In biriyani pot heat oil and add crushed ginger garlic and green chillies and saute well.
- Now add sliced onion and saute well.
- When onion becomes soft add sliced tomato and saute.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves and saute.
- Add curd and salt and cook for 3 mins.
- Add 1 tbsp biriyani. masala and mix well.
- Add the cooked mutton with gravy and mix well.
- And cook for 5mins.(no gravy).
- Remove half of this mutton masala and keep it aside.
- Fill the other half of mutton masala well at the bottom of biriyani pot.
- Arrange half of the rice over the masala.
- Sprinkle 1 tsp ghee, 1/2 tsp biriyani masala, 1/2 lemon juice, 12 of cashews, raisins and onion roasted over the rice.
- Arrange the other half of mutton masala over it.
- Arrange the other half of rice over it.
- Sprinkle 1tsp ghee,1/2 tsp biriyani masala, 1/2 lemon juice, 12 of cashews, raisins and onion roasted, few coriander leaves and mint leaves over the rice.
- Cover the biriyani pot and seal it with maida dough.
- Cook for few mins in low flame.
- Switch off the stove.
- Enjoy the biriyani with salad, pappad and lemon pickle.